Realms of Kar'Kaish
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To-Do List: Magic

2 posters

Go down

To-Do List: Magic Empty To-Do List: Magic

Post by Tentacle Therapist Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:19 am

This shall be a specific place to discuss the things that need doing on the following list. Once a consensus is made, then we can bother appending necessary articles.

To-do List: Magic

• Better define reagents and feedback grounds, as well as discuss any ideas for spellcasting supplies or items perhaps beneficial to spellcasting (such as staffs).
  • Fix the current logical issue with fire elemental magic, as it needs to more closely follow other forms of elemental magic. With current explanations, simply dissolving wood or other flammable material is not grounds to produce fire elemental power. It could be used to manifest more of it, though, just not directly. A similar issue might arise with lightning.
  • Discuss more things relevant to mage characters.
  • Explain how mana is causing the Spectral plane to look all faded, gray, and ghosty.
  • Clean up previously existing magic articles for inclusion in the new magic system.
Tentacle Therapist
Tentacle Therapist

Back to top Go down

To-Do List: Magic Empty Re: To-Do List: Magic

Post by Tentacle Therapist Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:27 am

First Item that I will take a shot at.

"• Explain how mana is causing the Spectral plane to look all faded, gray, and ghosty."

The long and short? It isn't. It is pretty much identical to the Corporeal plane in every way, except there are no people.

"Spirits" (Loosely defined in this instance as masses of life energy that retain holdovers of previous something or others) and mana have no objective color, though they may have objective visibility in the case of gods.

That said, the human body isn't objective, It is a construct of life energy, and life energy and mana tend not to get along when the life energy is trying to DO something like keep a person being living.

The mana and raw energy in the Spectral realm thus oppress the ordered life energy in a living body. This causes the rather fine senses to shut down the more fragile parts of themselves to avoid horrific damage, causing a temporary loss of color sight, a persistence of images upon the eye resulting in blurriness, and a loss of a significant amount of sharpness.
Tentacle Therapist
Tentacle Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:12 pm

Ah. What I was thinking before was that the mana had residual ties to the Spectral Plane since it was all sucked up by the Corporeal. These residual ties would give it the 'haunted' appearance of a copy of the Corporeal Plane.

That said, what you propose means that the Corporeal can't have sucked all the mana from the Spectral. That part of creation lore is easily retconned because there's no real reason for it do that.

Glad to see you back around.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rokk.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:21 am

I think of it kind of like this. The Corporeal plane is MEANT to hold beings of life. The Life Gods would hardly make beings just to allow them to be lost to the entropy of mana. But mana is also the basis of the world so you can hardly remove it entirely.

Think of the mana in the Corporeal and Spectral realms as a single swimming pool full of water. Unprotected access to the water (mana) will quickly destabalize beings made of life energy, probably death energy too but that is irrelevant to this example.

The life gods, knowing that this would fuck with their creations, decided to put up a barrier, or membrane of sorts that encompasses the Corporeal plane, you know, to keep all the living things living.

So, the life gods went and put a semi-permeable membrane around the Corporeal plane (Put a tarp over half the pool.) You can get through this membrane to get at the mana if you want, but it is harder to do. The Spectral plane has no such protection, because it was never meant to hold ordered energy.

So the two planes share the same mana, but the Corporeal half of it is "restricted" in such a way as to prevent all those fragile little beings of life from the ravages of pure chaos in the form of raw mana. A mage that gains access to the Spectral plane directly (IE, goes there.) Would gain complete and unrestricted access to the mana of BOTH planes. They would also die (in the sense of ceasing to be ordered) in a matter of moments. Quicker if they actually try to cast anything.
Tentacle Therapist
Tentacle Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:20 pm

The problem I have with that is basically that the Life Gods are being made by Kar'Kaish, who is only one of the numerous Elder Gods. I don't think they alone have the power to put an entire membrane around the Corporeal plane. Maybe just over their creations, though?

This also brings into question exactly how you view the Spectral plane, though, because I think we have different perceptions of it, enough for me to not really understand fully where you're coming from. I guess the Corporeal plane, too, because when you state that it was made to hold life... that's not really the case how I see it, or at least it doesn't make sense when there's tons of Elder Gods that are there to do whatever they want to many planets, stars, etc. I think of both planes being full of mana but they are the domain of the Elder Gods, and as such are completely privy to their wants/desires rather than the wants/desires of their underlings, beings they create for amusement or other purposes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rokk.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:42 am

Then everyone starts dropping off like twisted nuclear fallout-born mutants. *twitchy twitch twitch* *shrugs*
Tentacle Therapist
Tentacle Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum