Realms of Kar'Kaish
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elemental Runes (Mechanic Post) [Beta]

2 posters

Go down

Elemental Runes (Mechanic Post) [Beta] Empty Elemental Runes (Mechanic Post) [Beta]

Post by CromTheConqueror Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:27 pm

Elemental Body Runes

Basic Outline

A user who utilizes skin runes manipulates mana through runes placed on their own body. This magic does not focus on the user directly crafting mana to form spells. Instead they transmit mana through the body rune that handles the spell for them. This type of magic is every bit as difficult to master as reagent elemental magic.

Mechanic (Energy/Transmitter):

An elemental rune mage uses mana to energize their runes. As anytime one uses elemental mana, the mage experiences degrees of physical and mental trauma proportional to the amount of magic being performed and the complexity of the magic itself. This trauma can range from noticeable irritation, to a crippling headaches, to unconsciousness, and open bleeding.

An elemental rune user first has runes seared or “published” into their bodies. This process is painful and immensely draining to the user’s constitution. The consequences of the publishing are directly proportional to the power of the rune. In other words, the more powerful the rune, the more draining and painful the experience will be. This applies equally to the one publishing the rune on the user. The physical consequences tend to subside quickly enough that the user is able to become active again soon but the mental consequences can take weeks to recover from. It is very dangerous to apply multiple runes over a short period of time.

Once published, the user can channel their will through his or hers rune. The runes themselves handle the manipulation of the mana to form the desired spell. Elemental runes work like preloaded spells. Fire rune X may cast a fireball. Water Rune Y might fill a simple water-skin. Earth Rune N might open a small hole in the ground for planting seeds. These runes are only capable of fulfilling the one specific function assigned to them. This process is completely contradictory to the reagent style of elemental magic. If a user was taught to use the runes to cast magic before learning traditional magic, their ability to use traditional magic will be terminally impaired due to the extreme perceptual differences.

Advantages/Disadvantages:

A user who uses elemental runes will have a more reliable way of transmitting elemental mana. The physical and mental repercussions of the user remain as a result of using elemental magic. However, the runes will not make use of excess or inadequate mana and will simply used the amount prescribed to them in the original publishing. Hence, a reliable transmitter; the spell is nearly always assured to do exactly what you want it to. Not less or more. There is also less probability of the spell being interrupted by outside circumstance because it is being transmitted through the structure of the rune. If the spell is interrupted it is unlikely to have catastrophic consequences and merely fail to trigger the rune. This means safer as it is less likely the user will make the kind of miscalculation that would cause the use of excess mana. Excess use that could result in their demise. However, the user sacrifices adaptability in the field. A reagent elemental user can use mana to craft solutions that fit the specific problem on a situational basis. An elemental rune user only has those spells at their disposal in their runes. They will simply hope the runes are capable of rising to the specific need of the moment.

Last edited by CromTheConqueror on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Elemental Runes (Mechanic Post) [Beta] Empty Re: Elemental Runes (Mechanic Post) [Beta]

Post by Admin Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm confused... What happened?

Edit: Crap, did I click edit instead of quote last night? I think I did. Damnit.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rokk.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Elemental Runes (Mechanic Post) [Beta] Empty Re: Elemental Runes (Mechanic Post) [Beta]

Post by CromTheConqueror Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:01 pm

Doh...><

Let's try again?
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:02 am

Giving this a bump to discuss it. I know we did before but things got deleted.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:52 am

Isn't this supposed to be the same thing as Runic Tattoos, just your version of it?

It also sounds like the fundamentals of the system are largely irrelevant anyway. See most of my post on your Regeants thread to see why.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Can you link me to the post discussing the mechanics of runic tattoos?
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:08 am

Having looked at the runic tattoo thing it seems that what you intended and I intended was the exact same except that we never went back and altered the language to better reflect that. So could we update the other thread like we intended and call it "Runic-Skin Magic"? (I would just like to save the word tattoos just because it seems more tribal and applicable to some magic system we are liable to give to the southern barbarians)
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:10 am

"Runic-Skin Magic" has a lot less flow going for it. Did you have something in mind completely different for the southern barbarians?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:25 am

Why don't we just call it Runic Magic. And nothing specific yet but I figure we'd probably end up introducing different magic systems over the years. Besides it wouldn't make any sense for the southern barbarians to use magic the way the northerners do. I've also considered using that term for if we introduced another country with a sort of Indian nation as tattoos tend to be of cultural important there. I know it's very longterm but I'd rather solve for it now than ask for a retcon later.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:29 am

The problem is that runes already exist, in some form, although it's up for development. They aren't only on people's skin, and I imagine that they function differently than Nacatha's. 'Rune' is used to describe the symbols on her skin rather than explain what they are. It's closer to Enchanted Tattoo magic, except it sounds like the tattoos have more substance on her skin than basic tattoos, hence the 'Rune' part.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:35 am

Well Runic Magic can cover runes on humans, on beasts, and inanimate objects. We could call them Skin Runes. That has a solid ring.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:42 am

We'll go with something like that for now.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:53 am

So we can change the name from tattoo magic? And if so and we have that settled let's plan on doing that re-editing of the tattoo thread for clarification so we can finally move runes out of RnD and move all threads pertaining to it to the basket. Very Happy
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:56 am

We'll call it something other than tattoo magic. It's not solely runic magic though, so runic magic still needs to be changed.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:57 am

Fine by me. Let's go ahead and move this thread to the basket and refocus our attention on runic-tattoos thread?
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum