Realms of Kar'Kaish
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comments on The Aldish States

4 posters

Go down

Comments on The Aldish States Empty Re: Comments on The Aldish States

Post by CromTheConqueror Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:16 am

This needs to be in research and developement. I like it a lot though.

Just as often cited as being the major force ensuring the nation's survival during many periods of the Great War.

My quick skim picked out this though. It's been agreed upon since your hiatus that no single nations (with the exception of Atimar) would have survived the great war. Most of the nations that exist now have only done so for the last couple of centuries. This line suggests that this clan is perhaps a thousand years old.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by GrayWatch Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:37 am

It was not. It formed during the Late Middle/Early Close of the Great War as an aggregation of of refugee's, primarily those who had lost all their loved ones already, adopting the strangers who had survived the same traumatic experiences as surrogate "family". As numbers swelled differences inevitably rose, and rather than fighting them out, the group splintered into what eventually became the High Clans.
While the original adoption of strangers as family in a need for human contact and closeness was eventually twisted and forgotten by their descendants, the emphasis on the importance of family was not.
Perhaps 500 years old, since refugee's first began settling in the area, perhaps ~200 since the d'Vannith was a recognized High Clan. However while deeds tend to be attributed to families instead of individuals, geneaologies still exist, and the d'Vannith family was either in command or at the forefront of every major operation in defense of their land for as far back as they can trace their lineage (between 300 and 400 years).

The Maldin however, do predate the states, and as a species, are somewhere on the order of 800 years old. Admittedly over this time they've gone from shockingly powerful war beasts, to something more along the lines dopey, friendly, slobbery oxen.

Edit:
Also I'd love to move it to somewhere more appropriate but hey! Guess what I can't do?
GrayWatch
GrayWatch

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:13 am

Copy pasting my idea, FOR SHAME!!!

Okay moment of petty indignation aside, I rather like it all things told, nice to have a name for the place were all the snotty Eadhaolin folk buy their silk things, also rather enjoy the more sophisticated take on a 'semi Scottish' esc nation.

That bit about Clan Ishyll made me laugh.

Also I would like a maldin please. Now.

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Very nice. I like it. The Maldin also fit in with what seem to be a pretty engrained theme for the Black Mountains (wolves, hounds, etc.). Not sure if it was intentional, but Crom and I both had the same canine feeling about it.

I think you need to spell out the relation between the Aldish States and the Conclave, because they have some radical enough ideals that the Conclave might take action against them.

Reminds me a bit of the Realm, though. Still, it's nice.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rokk.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:20 pm

Haha, I love how the Aldish deal with the Conclave.

One problem though: "Conclave accents"

The Conclave is composed of so many people from so many different regions and countries, they don't really have a discernible accent.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GrayWatch Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:09 pm

It takes me less than a month living with an indigenous population before I find myself picking up traces of an accent. I know people who take less than a week living in a foreign nation before they sound like they've been there all their lives.

The Conclave lives on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere. Even given that a great many people immigrate there there's still got to be a native population born and raised on the nation which have their own customs, peculiarities of word choice etc. It is almost inconceivable that someone living on their island for any significant time will come away with absolutely no verbal tics, habits, inflections, or otherwise that indicates they've spent a significant amount of time there unless they've been trained to do just that.

But sure fine. They have no accent. There are a dozen other ways to make reasonable guesses about where someone is from, and it's not like people from other countries don't get accused of that stuff either.
GrayWatch
GrayWatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:13 pm

People born on the island are exposed to all of the different accents, so I would have to guess that they would have some sort of accent, given that it is some manner of mixture of the other accents present. That would perhaps clue people in.

Nevermind then. This is fine. If MN and Crom have no complaints with it, we can move it to acceptance.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:30 pm

I like. MN?
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Comments on The Aldish States Empty Comments on The Aldish States