City of Gem Character Creation and Houserules.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: City of Gem Character Creation and Houserules.

Post by Tentacle Therapist on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:53 pm

It is still a helpful thing to do. Since a lot of times characters are cobbled together from different books, and being able to find things promptly is nice. Like for instance, I always forget what book Knight is in.
Tentacle Therapist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatGreenThunda on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:56 pm

I'll make sure to do that then.
PlatGreenThunda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligstro Smith on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:41 pm

I would guess Heroes of Battle for Knight? Not positive but really it's mostly my guess b/c I just remember what it's NOT in. If it's not HoB then Probably Complete Champion.
Caligstro Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:12 am

PHBII

It isn't a particularly great class in and of itself. The capstone is a better version of Die Hard, except without the auto stabilization. (You get a normal round of actions, even if you are below -10 HP.) They get 12-side HD and full BaB, which is nice, and at 17 they don't autofail saving throws on 1s.

It really shines if your group has high-value targets, or are running Gestalt as a bruiser. Paladin/Knight is ridiculously tanky, can spam a 100-foot AoE to make everything attack them, and keep them far FAR away from the rest of the party.

One of my gestalt npcs in this world has Knight levels. (Knight/Paladin also lends decently to mounted combat if that's your thing).

All-in-all, not very good, but gives a few nicely unique bonuses that sometimes fit characters I make.
Tentacle Therapist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligstro Smith on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Yeah, it's an interesting class. It'd been a long time since I looked at it, but I'm starting to think about interesting things I could do with it. Current musings are involve trying to blend it into a debuff-paladin-of-doom build.

Caligstro Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatGreenThunda on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:17 pm

New sheet:

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=70633
PlatGreenThunda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatGreenThunda on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:18 pm

Are there others joining us btw?
PlatGreenThunda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligstro Smith on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:30 pm

There are others in the campaign world, but we're mostly on our own and aren't likely to encounter them directly Tuv said. TBH it'd be hard to even try to seek them out, esp w/o it being blatant meta-gaming
Caligstro Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatGreenThunda on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Like other players?
PlatGreenThunda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligstro Smith on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Yeah
Caligstro Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:53 pm

If either of you want to get more people over here making sheets, I'm all for it. I'm not big on advertising on the big sites for this, because too many players means the overall quality on my end drops. I'm also not entirely sure I can effectively run the game on three different sites.

Oh well.

@ PGT
You have overspent on the point-buy by 2.

If you two are going to actively be teaming together, I would also suggest you also Gestalting. You don't have to, but that'l turn into a big difference down the line.
Tentacle Therapist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatGreenThunda on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:00 am

My bad, Will fix right now
fixed
PlatGreenThunda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligstro Smith on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:37 am

About the gestalting thing: I'm fiddling with pretty seriously different character, but with the same sand-swarm concept. It's not a caster, and both the gestat sides are doing the same thing -- it's a very cohesive gestalt build. I was going to post it with the write up of our backstory/history together that we've been hashing out tomorrow, but here it is now:

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=70525

Whether he gestalts or not I don't think we'll have a huge power disparity; he'll be getting casting buffs by the time I start getting cool stuff from my gestalt building. Plus b/c I'm sorta the "tank" of the two, it's better if I can take more of a beating. And my DPS sucks, especially early on. WAY later it gets good, but then so does his archer -- I've seen the later build where it has as many attacks as my neat-o gestalt monk (actually it gets that many before the monk does)

EDIT: I stand corrected, it doesn't get as many attacks, but it has as-good-as damage with still quite a few attacks, plus it has casting to fall back on.
Caligstro Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligstro Smith on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:56 am

Okay, so I tried posting this in the chat feed, but apparently I can't post links there? Idk, w/e.

Tuv and Pablo, you two are the only people I know who will for sure appreciate this: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/282/0/9/exalted_wallpaper___updated_by_rhanite-d4c9vka.png

(Also sorry I didn't get that write-up posted... I was busy early last week helping my friend pack to move to a new apartment in Atlanta, and then the 2nd half of the week (until right now) I was in Atlanta w/o internet, helping him move in, and building IKEA furniture and stuff.
Caligstro Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:10 pm

Sweet fucking jeegus, saved. Gonna get some nice paper and print that shiz off on someone else's dime to go up with the other posters.

The only way that could be better, is if Rainbow Dash wasn't there, and Pinkie was the Night Caste. Because party cannon, and how did you get over there!?
Tentacle Therapist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligstro Smith on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:39 am

Okay, so I know it's later than I said I'd get it done, but I either kept forgetting or watching Game of Thrones instead of getting it done, but it's here at last.  Our "brief" shared character backstory.  

After several hours of discussion with Pablo spread out of the course of the last month I sat down and completely wrote out the results.  I finished writing this  last night and sent it to Pablo to check over, fill in some pieces, etc.  Here's the final result:

Iuros and Theos Cognati wrote:We're the Cognati Brothers: Iuros and Theos.

Iuros is the elder by a couple/few years. We were born in another city far to the east (we don't know the geography well enough to say where or what it was called).

We were always measured, obedient, and religious, and at various points both of us considered or planned to work for the church at some point during our lives.

Iuros in particular has always been very disciplined and loathed lies, trickery, deceit, and those who perpetrated such low and dishonorable actions. As such he feels most closely connected to and primarily worships Saint Cuthbert, god of Common Sense, Wisdom, Zeal, Honesty, Truth, and Discipline and holder of the domains of Destruction, Domination, Law, Protection, and Strength.

On the other hand, Theos had always been dedicated to his familial bonds. While still being almost as honorable and disciplined as Iuros, Theos was never above the idea of betraying principle for family members, for him family came first. In terms of religion, Theos was a bit more personal. Though he was devout he spent more time praying in the forest than he did in any religious institution.

Iuros studied and trained hard in a monastery run by The Billets, the right hand of the Church of Saint Cuthbert, and dedicated to the ministration to and protection of the common people and followers of Saint Cuthbert. He sought to master his body and his spirit that he might use both in service to the Church and the ideal of Honesty, which tenet he held above all others. When he wasn’t busy with his training or work for the monastery though, Iuros would always seek out Theos in the woods and countryside around their city, where Theos most liked to spend his time hunting, tracking and studying animal life.

Our parents were decent enough folks, but never too interested in the events beyond our home city, and they made their living as a blacksmith and a seamstress, as their father and mother had respectively done before them. They supported our pursuit of education beyond that of our birth station, and they supported our religious inclinations. But they always tried to encourage us to make simple lives in our city, following honest trades as they had, even though they knew we yearned for more.

As we grew up we grew closer together as friends and as brothers, understanding each other and our wishes for more significant happenings in our lives, and unfortunately as we grew closer, the distance between us and our parents grew. We still loved them, just as they loved us, but it became increasingly clear over time that we had simply set ourselves on a different path which would inevitably separate us from the rest of our family.
When he came of age, Iuros left home for a time to adventure and see the rest of the world that the brothers had only heard stories of in their youth. He hoped to act as an unofficial servant of The Chapeaux, the left hand of the Church of Saint Cuthbert, which primarily works to convert new people to the worship of Saint Cuthbert. He adventured alone for a few years, returning when his brother Theos too came of age, to share all that he had seen and learned, and so that they might then go back out into the world together.

(Note: At this point Iuros had recently attained level 3)

During his travels back to his home city Iuros had heard of a great dragon that was said to live somewhere (no one knew exactly where it made its lair) about two month's travel from their city, but which hadn't been seen in several weeks, and was believed to have died or been killed by some unknown party.

Theos was amazed by such a story and urged that their first efforts be to seek out that lair and see if the rumors were true. Iuros warned that seeking out a dragon's lair, which was only -rumored- to be abandoned, was dangerous... not only because the dragon might still indeed be there, but also because other dangerous men might likewise be seeking that lair.

Despite his misgivings however, Iuros agreed that they would at least travel in that direction and see what they could find about these rumors.

The brothers had traveled nearly all the way to the region where the dragon was believed to live when late one afternoon, traveling in the foothills of a small mountain range, they found a large depression in the ground in the shape of a massive dragon, although one had lain motionless there for a few days at least. As they examined the area they found a small network of caves nearby.

Theos suggested that likely the dragon's corpse had lain there for a while before being found, dissected, and carted away by bandits, adventurers, mercenaries, or an alchemist, and likely its horde taken too. There was little risk in exploring the caves just to satisfy his curiosity and in the hope that some small bit of treasure was left behind or lay yet undiscovered.

Iuros, being the more experienced and stealthy of the two brothers led the way into the caves, but of course things weren't as they seemed. The dragon wasn't dead ANYMORE... it had simply transformed itself into a dracolich! Enraged that some pathetic mortal had intruded into is lair while it was doing spell research, and unsure of the mortal's relative power, the ex-dragon promptly blasted Iuros with a Twinned-Split-Ray-Empowered-Fell-Draining-Fell-Animating-Enervation spell, which of course killed him instantly.

Theos immediately fled the caves, and although horribly distraught, he still miraculously managed to escape the lich's notice once outside.

When the necromantic wyrm returned, it was with surprise that it didn't find another zombie under its command and awaiting its orders. Only a small pile of sand remained. Confused by this turn of events, but eager to finish its current spell research first, the dracolich put aside this puzzle for the moment, and it never noticed when the pile softly and slowly blew away along the floor.

Iuros, strangely, had risen as a new kind of undead, likely because of extremely disproportionate amount of negative energy that had killed him.

After a few days of searching, Iuros, still a pile of sand, managed to find Theos, who had been wandering aimlessly in the wilderness and grieving the loss of his brother.

After an unsettling, confusing, and emotional reunion, the brothers eventually decided to begin seeking a way to restore Iuros to life. Unfortunately it was found that the usual resurrecting magics were ineffective. After a brief period of despair at this discovery, the brothers began looking for more powerful methods of achieving their desire.
They recalled a common legend they'd often heard when they were small children, of the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak, an artifact said to grant the possessor unbelievable power, but which the legend held was shattered over 900 years ago, before even the founding of the great city of Gem.

The brothers resolved to try seeking out the shards of the legendary gem, in the hope that it might be able to restore Iuros to life, and with this in mind, they've traveled all the way to the city of Gem. Its incomparable size and its vast wealth of resources, both magical and informational, were the major reasons to direct the efforts of their search there... not to mention the suspicious coincidence of its name...

EDIT: Oh, and we're currently working on our detailed character profiles.  They're our own answers (with a bit of coordinating for overlapping content like details of our city's culture, childhood, and parents, etc) to 100 questions about our characters.  Its a word document called "100 Questions to Ask About Your Role-Playing Character" that another of our friends found a while ago, but which we find useful for forcing your to really have a solid concept of who your character is.  

We should have those ready for you in just a couple days.  I'm currently on 15/100, but that's only after a small bit of work tonight so far.

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, and I'm Iuros and Pablo's Theos -- I forgot to mention that explicitly.
Caligstro Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligstro Smith on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:52 am

Oh, and a minor build question: You said that Dragon Mag/other stuff needed to be cleared with you first.  I just remembered that Battle Dancer is a Dragon Compendium base class (page 26 I believe).  

It's a lot like a monk, but it uses charisma for lots of its stuff, and it has an emphasis on the dance skill and, a bit like how the Dervish PRC does.  Since the build is rushing for Dervish by level 6 and is all about whirling elegance in fighting it seemed both mechanically what I was looking for and flavorfully very appropriate.  

Is Battle Dancer okay to use?  If not i know what I'll replace it with, but I'd rather use Battle Dancer if I can.

EDIT: Actually I realized that my most flavorfully appropriate and (I thought sufficient) alternative that I planned to use if Battle Dancer wasn't okay doesn't actually work very well at all.  Sad

EDIT 2: WOW that standard sad-face-smiley is a super melodramatic one for such a simple/standard emoticon.
Caligstro Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:04 am

Yeah, sure, seems fine. Also: yay, I discovered a plothole in my stuff!
Tentacle Therapist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligstro Smith on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Cool thanks!  I've nearly finished the more detailed bio.  And I said I'd throw up my character sheet here again.

Also, as a note, if its easier for you, Tuv, both Pablo and I wouldn't mind if you didn't want to use this forum to run the game through.  If you'd rather we used your wow guild forum (off topic area or something, or wherever you host the rest of your City of Gem stuff), or whatever, just let us know.  

Whatever you want, just let us know.

EDIT: I am a moron and forgot to actually paste the link in... here it is:
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=70525
Caligstro Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Just tell me when things are finalized, and I'll put threads up and stuff. You'll be getting separate threads, because I should feign at least a little professionality and consistency. But that means that I should (in theory) be the slowest part of the process, and if I'm not around the game doesn't go anyways.

Plus, this way makes it easier for players to take long breaks without stopping the whole shabang up. AND it makes it easier for me to make mistakes, and still not be wrong. Yay questionable linearity of the timeline!

Honor system on not reading other threads, or if you do, not metagaming. Blah blah.
Tentacle Therapist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligstro Smith on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:37 am

Okay, my expanded character profile/bio has been done for a little while, but I was having pablo check it to make sure there weren't any conflicts or anything.

Here it is:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GPHP0OnEZbjefGJy-NuhGTIGS6CCxey_w2SXwE-Dnjk/edit?usp=sharing
Caligstro Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PlatGreenThunda on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:46 am

Man, sorry I haven't replied in a while. I'm working on an 100Q but haven't quite finished.

I think the gestalt vs non-gestalt won't be an issue, unless you're adamant about me doing so. But TBH that would put me way over his character I think (I would end up being a ranger with 4 feats at level 1 with spellcasting, etc).
PlatGreenThunda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top