Realms of Kar'Kaish
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Of Spirits and their place in the world...

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Of Spirits and their place in the world... Empty Of Spirits and their place in the world...

Post by MidgetNinja Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:18 am

When the world was young the heavens were divided evenly between two races of gods whose dispositions were as opposing as night and day.

On the one side stood the forces of Life, supporting it through all of it's ups and downs.

On the opposing side stood the forces of Death, and the eternal peace and mystery of it.

Working together, they forged the progenitor of their first master race the Patriarch.

But in secret the gods of life created beings of their own, Spirits they were named, divine beings of pure Life Energy.

Though neither as powerful or as numerous as their demonic brethren would come to be, their powers were far from insignificant. In the beginning the Gods of life knew of no other purpose for them aside from gaining a leg up on their deathly brethren, but at the time that was enough for them.

And then came the demon wars, and things were never the same for the Spirits, who sided with their creators against their half brothers, loosing many of their number in the process. To this day the spirits and the demons maintain a burning hatred of each other.

After the demon banishment, peace was further denied them as they once again answered their master's call to war against the Gods of Death.

The handful of Spirits left after these wars were scarred...left embittered and resentful of their masters, yet above all else they maintained their allegiance to their creed. Acknowledging the importance of life above all things.

For the part the Gods of Life acknowledged their loyal creations, and finally gifted them with a long sought after purpose.

They were proclaimed guardians and protectors of the Corporal plan the keepers of life.

The few dozen spirits took to their new roles with gusto, finding joy in watching the world grow and life around them, and for a time it was good.

But as the corruption of the death gods spread from deep within the earth. The creatures of the forests and the dark places of the world began to...change...twisting into, horrible monstrosities bent solely on death and destruction... After a time of battling these beasts in the woodlands and caves of the planet, the spirits themselves began to feel the effects of death encroaching in on their mindscape.

There were some who resisted, defying the madness even as it loomed on the edge of their minds. There were those who finished their great works, leaving gifts behind for their young mortal siblings to defend themselves with, and went into seclusion until a time when their charges had dire need of them again. And there were others still who gave up on the ideals of life altogether, and submitted fully to the eternity of death.

Few now walk the earth, and those that do are far from the mortal eye, their wars, and their civilizations. Wandering the darkest paths of the forests, and deepest places of the mountains they fight an unseen war against death and destruction, as they have sense their creation. They Fight or they lay in wait, either for a moment to return to the fight, or for their new bound masters to rise again.

Last edited by MidgetNinja on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:25 am; edited 4 times in total

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Of Spirits and their place in the world... Empty Re: Of Spirits and their place in the world...

Post by Tentacle Therapist Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:03 am

The idea is nice, though I can't recall the entirety of the whole life god/death god backstory.

The question is, how does this fit into the hierarchy that we already have? As far as I know there aren't life elemental lords... And spirits, or rather ghosts are merely remnants of life energy imprinted with past pedelictions, until it is recycled in some way shape or form.

That said, these sound like gigantic protean precursors to life as we know it.
Tentacle Therapist
Tentacle Therapist

Back to top Go down

Of Spirits and their place in the world... Empty Re: Of Spirits and their place in the world...

Post by CromTheConqueror Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:51 pm

So basically sentient beings crafted out of pure Life energy by the Gods. Works for me.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:28 am

I didn't read the whole thing yet, but this would be more of a retcon of what's already in place, MN. =/
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rokk.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:48 am

At least read the whole thing before you judge my work please.

Now there is a sister piece dealing with my ideas regarding the origin of monsters and creatures of myth and what have you.

It'll probably be up some time tomorrow after I get off of work.

That's right, I work now.

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Except I believe we went out on record disparaging the use of "monsters" and "creatures of myth"...
Tentacle Therapist
Tentacle Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Ahhhh, now I finally understand, or at least think I do. Similar to how the Death Gods made scythes to combat Life after the Daemon Wars, Life made powerful demi-god-like "Spirits" before the Daemon Wars, which helped them in the Daemon wars and the heads-up eventually caused Life to win against Death.
I think that that would make the entity possessing Eszrah's sword one of these "Spirits", or something like it, right?

Also, there's no real monsters in this world, just manipulations of life. I do suppose there might be the odd creature here and there, such as a Daemon somehow getting back to Ara'niel and possessing an animal, ultimately changing it into something monstrous, or via magic or some such to create beings out of the ordinary.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Monster is mostly a blanket term to describe the ordinary creatures who were corrupted by death energy seeping up form below the earth. Their power varies on the amount of exposure, which mostly varies on location.

Most of these things don't pose TOO much of a threat to the Spirits, but occasionally you can run across one powerful enough to be a bit...hairier...

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:51 am

Sounds great MN. I like the story, and it gives some substance for exactly why the Life Gods won over their more or less equal brethren. This is more or less an origin story for them though, so some development past that would be great, but I like this so far.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:59 pm

I just want to concur with Chaos that this sounds awesome. Your last answer also lays the groundwork for allowing "monsters" in our world while still sticking to the canon lore already established. I also think this provides room for more culture.

For hypothetical example (and please say something if this contradicts what you were thinking) let's say there is a village in a forest bordering a violent badland where raiders constantly come out and attack people. This village might worship a deity they believe to be some sort of forest demi-god. This forest god protects the people of the village from raiders but in reality is just a Spirit of Life. I think it might be a neat way to work in more local culture to various areas we visit.

I also have a few questions. I imagine that if we accept the above scenario then some Spirits are active but that leads to the question of how many are dormant compared to how many are active. In turn while Spirits in general are going to be stronger than "monsters" are all Spirits of demi-god like strength or are their more numerous weaker ones? Also, do these spirits ever communicate directly with sentient mortals?
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Your last answer also lays the groundwork for allowing "monsters" in our world while still sticking to the canon lore already established.

Don't be too hasty, Crom. We don't need to suddenly turn this into Generic Fantasy Setting.

This village might worship a deity they believe to be some sort of forest demi-god. This forest god protects the people of the village from raiders but in reality is just a Spirit of Life. I think it might be a neat way to work in more local culture to various areas we visit.

If people worship it, it gains that power of belief, so at that point it'd probably also be a forest god in addition to being a Spirit of Life.

Also, do these spirits ever communicate directly with sentient mortals?

If Eszrah's sword has a Spirit sealed inside, then that answer is yes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:45 pm

I can perhaps answer these questions more thoroughly...in fact I plan to at a later point.

And for clarity's sake Chaos, I rather think the 'monsters' I've got in mind are unique in their...disposition...

I'll probably get all the info sorted out and organized in a new topic I'll get down...probably later today if I'm smart.

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:49 pm

I believe you're pretty intelligent, so you'd better.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:10 pm

Admin be threatenin.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:56 am

(Very) Belatedly Answering Questions if only because Clarification is needed.

Most of the remaining Spirits are active, though mostly only around the strip of land north of the Spine. Comparatively very few have gone dormant, mostly in the south and the north really.

In regards to strength I would say not all spirits are necessarily created equal, and some are much more powerful then others. Spirit Lords and what have you.

And this one isn't an answer so much, but yes they are capable of reproduction, so their are more then the few dozen that were left at the end of Life v Death War.

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:52 am

I agree they should be pretty varied in strength. I'd imagined everything from balls of floating light that led travellers through a dark forest and kept wild beasts at bay to forest monarchs capable of destroying a band of mages in a matter of moments.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:25 pm

I'd say their physical forms are rather mailable as it stands, if only because they are constructs of mana and physical matter, but I imagine their standard appearance would be humanoid in shape...if somewhat slightly different.

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Could always go with giving them control over their shape, so they are more like entities of will who manifest themselves physically should the need or want arise.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:17 am

Well that's a way to go, but I like it when deities actually have a physical presence in the world, it gives them more...weight so to speak, which isn't to say they couldn't take other shapes, but that their being remain exclusively physical and their preferred form is human.

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Accepted, pending spelling/grammatical revision.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:22 am

Edited some of the language, but now I need to get to bed.

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:00 pm

I was hoping Spirits would normally not take humanoid shape. Not to say it would be abnormal but perhaps not the common practice. Unless of course some prevalent race like the Sylvan all be weaker life spirits?
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Sylvan? Elves?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Silvanos of the Silver Empire that enslaved the Daegurs and lived in the forests south of the Spine. Still unsure as to whether or not they exist anymore, but I could see them being/having been a race of humanoid life Spirits.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Ah, I gotcha. I remember that now.

Also, I think MN means more "humanoid" than "human". It makes sense because it does reflect the greatest achievement of their creators.

MN?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next