Realms of Kar'Kaish
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RoKK's Languages

2 posters

Go down

RoKK's Languages Empty RoKK's Languages

Post by Admin Sun May 20, 2012 5:23 am

This is meant to be more of a placeholder for some actual development somewhere down the line, but I did want to highlight something that has increasingly made an impression on me.

I say Ara'niel. Crom says Aran'niel. BI says Araniel.
When I was writing Kailzimoth, Bronx made the world map and put "Khalizimoth" because he liked how it sounded better.
Doom contributed to general vocabulary (somewhat specifically to Kailzimoth) that simplified or conveyed phrases in single words.

I think that this is actually pretty impressive. Some of it is because people have a certain thing in mind that they'd rather do, some because it's easier to write, but having multiple interpretations also allows for the same sort of thing to resonate in the world itself.

Because of where the world was before, there would have developed some sort of prominent trade language, or at least a great meshing between the different languages, even if they are quite different. Due to cataclysmic destruction, people became isolated again, which meant that new dialects would inevitably form, but that the core language was still probably the same.

I imagine that the people of Kailzimoth could understand people from Tyrvold, but it would be like a Frenchman talking to an eastern European while both speaking English. That's similar to how we all communicate using English, but we sometimes use slightly different words.

I also imagine that the spelling of the word is how it's perceived. For example, I could easily see someone calling Eadhaolin "Edhalion" or the like; it's not perfect, but it still works.

I just wanted to take a moment to highlight it and see if anyone else had thoughts on the matter.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rokk.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

RoKK's Languages Empty Re: RoKK's Languages

Post by CromTheConqueror Sun May 20, 2012 12:21 pm

Well it's a nice way to explain why we aren't using the right words like we should be.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum